Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hurry up and wait

The embryo transfer was done yesterday around 2:00 pm. We got there at 11:45, I had to empty my bladder at 12:00 pm then drink 20 ounces of fluid. Our transfer was scheduled for 12:30 pm. We spoke to the embryologist. He was foreign and I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. I would probably have a lot more information if I could have understood him. Out of the conversation I got this: We had great quality embryos. We will have 9 or more left over to freeze. "enough to last a lifetime". Thank goodness, I'll never have to go through stimulation meds and egg retrieval again. The 2 that we had transferred one had already hatched. One of them was by regular IVF one was by ICSI (intercytoplasmic sperm injection). He also gave us a little talk about how important it is to relax so that the uterine lining is soft and more likely to support implantation. He compared it to putting seeds in soil which would support them and help them grow with the help of sunshine, as to putting seeds on pavement where they would not implant and grow. He said nerves and stress cause the uterus to be stiff and not difficult for the embryos to implant into. After we talked with him we went back out to the waiting room to wait some more. I apparently got more out of the conversation with the embryologist than Chris did. I told Chris I couldn't understand half of what he said and Chris' reply was "All I heard was 'Sunshine' (in a Japanese/Chinese accent)".

We proceeded to wait until 2:00 pm, keep in mind I still had a full bladder, I was about to burst by the time it was over with. We found out that the doctor had locked his keys in his car and his cell phone died with the charger in the car. Thankfully he arrived around 2 pm. We were able to watch on the ultrasound monitor as the catheter entered my uterus and the embryos were inserted. I then had to lie there for 25 minutes more before using the bathroom.

So I am now on bed rest for 48 hours and the next _____ days we just wait. Activity is limited for the next 3 weeks. We're trying to keep test date a secret so that this can be as much of a surprise as possible for our family if it is successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment